Across the country, National Dental Health Month is celebrated each February in order to raise awareness about the importance of protecting your oral health. During this time, particular emphasis is focused on the development of good habits for young children. The value of regular dental visits is also emphasized in order to prepare children for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. Your dentist can provide you and your family with resources that will help to increase oral health awareness and reinforce the importance of long-term oral hygiene.
Oral Health Month provides various dental organizations, dental offices, and community health organizations the opportunity to develop campaigns that aim to improve the overall oral health of the general public. It also creates a fantastic opportunity for the lines of communication to be opened between dentists and dental patients.
Some of the most common (and most important) general oral health guidelines that are stressed during Dental Health Month include:
- Make a commitment to brush at least twice each day with fluoride toothpaste, especially before bed at night and upon waking for the day.
- Brush after meals and floss at least once each day to remove plaque and food particles between the teeth.
- Be mindful of acidic foods and drinks that are known to promote enamel erosion.
- Avoid sugary snacks and drinks between meals. Instead, try to choose a balanced diet.
- Schedule regular visits with your dentist for yourself as well as your family.
In 2003, the American Dental Association launched a national program designed to encourage parents, health professionals and policymakers to take a more active role in addressing the importance of children’s oral health. The Give Kids A Smile initiative has been made possible by enormous volunteer efforts from dentists, dental staff members and generous support from corporate sponsors. Donated dental supplies such as gloves, gauze, masks and patient napkins make it possible for less fortunate children to receive free dental care at various locations.
You can learn more about the benefits of Dental Health Month by contacting our team of dentists at Broadway Dental. Call us at 516-681-2525 to schedule an appointment today.